The Vichyssoise ( “vichysua” as popularly called in Spain) is a creamed leeks served cold and is of French origin, although they say they carry already discussing nearly a century of authorship: French, American, and even Basque … Sea Whoever invented it is a delicious recipe that is already known around the world, because its mild and delicate flavor is perfect as a first course of any meal.
The recipes with leeks are very helpful and are used in the preparation of purees, puff pastry and cakes. This vegetable has an exceptional reception in the cuisine of northern Spain, since it is used in very diverse dishes, among which the “porrusalda” stands out , a soup made with leek, carrot and potato, typical of Basque cuisine.
We bring you two versions, the traditional vichyssoise , which has cream and butter , as is usual in French cuisine, and another recipe without cream and with our traditional olive oil, a little lighter.
We encourage you to try both to see which one you like best.
Traditional Vichyssoise recipe
- 5 leeks
- 2 potatoes
- 2 chives
- 50g butter
- 1 liter of chicken broth
- 200 ml light cream for cooking (heavy cream)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Vichyssoise
- Chop the chives and the white part of the leeks, removing the first layer with a longitudinal cut with the knife. We chop the leeks into rings that we sauté together with the chives over low heat in a pot with a little butter. must monitor it so that they do not brown too much.
- We peel the potatoes and click them (we cut a little with the knife and finish breaking with the hand), putting them next to the leeks when they are already soft. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Add the homemade or brick chicken broth and cook the potatoes and leek over medium-low heat for about half an hour.
- When the potatoes are cooked (you can prick a potato with the tip of a knife to see if it goes through well), remove from heat and blend with an electric hand mixer.
- We go through a strainer if we want to remove the leek threads and make it finer, and add the liquid cream or milk cream, rectifying with salt and pepper if necessary.
- We put in the refrigerator to cool down before serving.
Vichyssoise without cream
- Put some extra virgin olive oil in a pot and add the chives, leeks and potatoes, all peeled and chopped.
- We fry for a few minutes, taking care that it does not brown. Add the milk, water and salt and pepper.
- Let it cook over a low heat, not boiling, for about 30 minutes.
- We grind very well, we can even go through a Chinese so that it is very fine and serve
How to serve the Vichyssoise or cold cream of leeks
As we told you, vichyssoise is a cold soup and it is delicious that way, but you can also have it hot.
To serve it and make it more attractive, you can melt some string cheese by placing small mounds on a baking tray. Once they melt, let them cool and put one for each guest in their vichisua bowl. You can also sauté some thin rings of leeks and drizzle with a drizzle of olive oil.
You may also like: Vegetable lasagna and meat recipe special for children
Preparation: Sauté the leeks (only the white part) and the peeled and chopped potatoes in the oil over low heat; when the potatoes start to turn color, pour in the hot broth.
Let it cook for 20 minutes, covered and blend until obtaining a fine cream.
Add the evaporated milk, the white pepper and correct the salt. Leave it in the refrigerator until serving time.
Serve it with a little chopped chives.